Letters of Recommendation
Required Letters of Recommendation
- One Pre-Medical Committee letter
- Two letters from science professors
Letters of recommendation should be on official letterhead, contain a signature, and not be more than three years old.
The Committee/Professor Letter(s)
If using a pre-medical committee letter, the letter should include the names and credentials of all committee members.
Letters from social sciences (e.g., psychology) professors and mathematics professors will not fulfill the science LOR requirement.
Advice for those Writing Letters of Recommendation
Letters of reference can provide valuable insight that is not available from reading the standard application.
Below are some suggested topics to address in your letter:
- The nature of your relationship with the applicant, including how well you know the applicant, in what capacity, and the length of the relationship
- Traits of the applicant
- Academic performance (if you are familiar with this)
- Intellectual ability
- Originality and resourcefulness
- Motivation to become a physician
- Communication skills
- Ability to work with others
- Any other topics that you think are relevant to the applicant’s application to LMU-DCOM
LMU-DCOM Admissions Office
phone: 1.800.325.0900 ext. 7090